Developmental Editing (Substantive Editing) is a professional analysis of your book
Gain confidence. Get the independent feedback you want and need. This positive, helpful process helps you get perspective on your manuscript.
- A comprehensive analysis of your book structure and content.
- A helpful evaluation of your writing from an objective point of view.
- A positive critique of specific elements you can change to make your book better.
- A professional opinion about your book’s potential for commercial success.
- I catch hidden issues and problems before you publish.
- No canned material or generic commentary—you get a personalized, objective appraisal of your book.
Feedback about your first draft will help you perfect your book. See my philosophy about working with authors here. The goal is to help you create a book you will be proud to publish.
- I read the first draft of your manuscript carefully and either prepare a 5-15 page report OR include notes in the Microsoft Word Review function. This notes function is an efficient way to work if you use Microsoft Word as I recommend for the editing process. You decide in advance. The length of my report depends on the word count of your book and the number of issues I discover.
- In addition, we’ll have an up to 45 minute telephone conversation or video Skype call to discuss the report, answer questions or strategize about possible revisions for your second draft.
My fee for Developmental Editing is $395 for up to 40,000 words. Add $8 for each thousand words beyond that. Word count is based on Microsoft Word statistics. Fees are not refundable for any reason since I expend the time and expertise to read your book to create your report. Delivery time is based on my workload at the time I receive your book. I will meet the deadline we set together.
A completed first draft is strongly preferred. You may send a work-in-progress if it is well along, but your fee pays for a one-time evaluation, not an ongoing evaluation of your work-in-progress. Copy editing is not included.
Contact me and tell me briefly about your needs. I’ll respond promptly.