Developmental Editing, also known as “Substantive Editing,” is a professional analysis of your book
The process helps you get perspective on your first draft. You receive:
- A comprehensive analysis of your book structure and content.
- A helpful evaluation of your writing style from an objective point of view.
- A positive critique of specific elements you can change to make your book better.
- A professional opinion about your book’s potential for commercial success.
- No canned material or generic commentary—you get a personalized, objective appraisal of your book. My goal is to help you create a book you will be proud to publish.
I read your manuscript carefully and prepare a 5-15 page report (it depends on the length of your book and the number of issues I discover), noting strengths and weaknesses and offering detailed suggestions for improvement. See my credentials here.
My fee for Developmental Editing is $449 for up to 50,000 words. Add $12 for each thousand words beyond that. Word count is based on Microsoft Word statistics. Delivery time is based on my workload at the time I receive your book. I will meet the deadline we set together.
A completed first draft is strongly preferred. You may send a work-in-progress if it is well along, but your fee pays for a one-time evaluation, not an ongoing evaluation of your work-in-progress.
Contact me and tell me briefly about your needs. I’ll respond promptly.