Get Professional Insight BEFORE You Publish Your Book
Eliminate confusion or expensive mistakes. Get trustworthy, expert knowledge about writing, editing, publishing or marketing.
I answer your questions and provide time and money-saving options to your decision-making process. Check my credentials here.
Consulting (Question, Answer, and Advice Phone Call or Skype Session)
A consulting session normally deals with a particular issue or several related issues. My hourly fee is $95 with a one-hour minimum in advance. Session time is not transferable to later sessions.
I consult with clients by either by telephone or face-to-face by video Skype. The time can be spent in any way you wish. I will answer any questions, help you define your strategy and make recommendations. I often email additional resources to clients after the session. Contact me here to give me an idea of your concerns and your preferences (2-3) for best contact time and methods. I’ll confirm one of your preferences.
Coaching/Mentoring is a longer term relationship. I mentor you through the entire book writing process, from idea through publishing and marketing. Or, I can coach you through specific aspects where you have a need. My job is to encourage, train and advise.
Once your needs are established, we agree on a one-time fee, which I receive in advance. I am then available to you on an ongoing basis. Ongoing coaching is at a lower fee than consulting.
Does consulting or coaching ensure your success? Nothing does that. But you can end the self-doubt and get reliable answers to your questions and have a clear action path. That has tremendous value for first-time authors or established authors who get caught in a rut.
Contact me here and tell me briefly about your needs. Let me how you want to communicate and the best times (2 or 3 options, including evenings if you wish), and I’ll get back to you promptly.
Developmental Editing (Substantive Editing) is an objective, professional analysis of your book.
Gain confidence. Get the independent feedback you want and need. This positive, helpful process helps you get perspective on your manuscript.
You can’t depend on the opinion of your mom, friend or former teacher to give you objective input about your book. They all bring baggage that keeps them from offering you a clear, concise view of your writing. They may love you, but most lack the technical knowledge to know if a book is well-structured and if there is a market for it. You need an independent expert to evaluate your book before you advance to the next stage, which is copy editing.
What You Receive
- A comprehensive analysis of your book structure and content.
- A helpful evaluation of your writing style from an objective point of view.
- A positive critique of specific elements you can change, if you wish, to make your book better.
- A professional opinion about your book’s potential for commercial success including some preliminary market research.
- I catch hidden issues, problems and blunders before you pay for copy editing.
- No canned material or generic commentary—you get a personalized, objective appraisal of your book.
Feedback about your first draft will help you perfect your book. See my philosophy about working with authors here. The goal is to help you create a book you will be proud to publish.
- I read the first draft of your manuscript carefully and prepare a 5-15 page report based on the issues I see. The length of my report depends on the word count of your book and the number of issues I discover.
- In addition, we’ll have an up to 30-minute telephone conversation (USA only) to discuss the report, answer questions or strategize about possible revisions for your second draft. Outside of the USA? We can use Skype.
Developmental Editing Fee
My fee for Developmental Editing is $395 for up to 30,000 words. Add $9 per thousand words beyond that. Word count is based on Microsoft Word statistics. Fees are not refundable for any reason since I expend the time and expertise to read your book to create your report.
- Delivery time is based on my workload at the time I receive your book, but it is often 7-10 working days (M-F). I will meet the deadline we set together.
- A completed first draft is strongly preferred. You may send a work-in-progress if it is well along, but your fee pays for a one-time evaluation, not an ongoing evaluation of your work-in-progress. Copy editing is not included.
Contact me and tell me briefly about your needs. I’ll respond promptly.